Author Topic: Whats the legal status of aftermarket HIDs?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Bozzeh

• Junior L3
  • The Bozmeister
  • County: Norfolk
Whats the legal status of aftermarket HIDs?
« on: 9 March 2014, 23:39:06 »
I was wondering, it's been a long debated topic but I want to ask you your own opinions.

As far as I know, aftermarket HIDs are only legal if there is a headlight washer system installed. Obviously with the right beam pattern ect.

What do you think?

Offline PurpleDrumstick

Re: Whats the legal status of aftermarket HIDs?
« Reply #1 on: 9 March 2014, 23:56:41 »
i know it as this:

they are illegal but its to the coppers discretion, a bit like under car neons.

legally you should have the projector lenses (glass domes that go in front of the bulbs) with hids which is what create the beam pattern

although if yours create the correct beam pattern they can not be failed on an mot which means technically they are road legal

Offline Surgical

• MG ZT+ 2.5
  • Ow! My Eyes! #brite
  • County: Suffolk
Whats the legal status of aftermarket HIDs?
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2014, 00:12:40 »
VOSA states factory fitted hid is road legal. However aftermarket require auto leveller and headlight washers. Mot tester will fail you if you dont have washers. It will fail under the device not working.

However not all testers are using the vosa rules which came out last april. And therefore you may pass. If not, just take out the hid and temporarily put in your halogens.

In terms of the police stopping you, the most they can do is tell you to change them and report back to the station in X amount of days with legal lights. However, unless you are driving around with a colour temperature of around 10,000k to 14,000k, you should be fine. I use 6000k personally. White lights with a blue tint. Its excellent. Used them around so many police cars and they dont bother pulling me. As long as im not blinding people. I have a manual adjustment in my car so if it looks too high, I just lower it. Wash your headlights monthly to prevent dirt build up and reflecting off it in to oncoming drivers.

The problem police have is that you cannot tell between hid and night breakers for instance. And thats why they dont bother to stop you.

Offline chrisrg1985

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2014, 00:07:45 »
Just pulled this from the website

High intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.   Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems.  In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given. Headlamp washers may work inconjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beamheadlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch

Please note the words "MAY BE FITTED" and not have to be fitted. But if they are then they must be working

Offline Surgical

• MG ZT+ 2.5
  • Ow! My Eyes! #brite
  • County: Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2014, 02:28:51 »
Correct. So the mot tester shouldnt fail you on inoperable washers if you dont have them.

Like Us or Share, Tweet and +1 this page: