Author Topic: Charlotte the Chevette, the resto project.  (Read 6187 times)

Offline PurpleDrumstick

Charlotte the Chevette, the resto project.
« on: 10 March 2014, 01:08:41 »
So these posts are all copied and pasted from another forum, it was the easiest and quickest way. Very picture heavy with lots to read, well worth a read though  :D

Well finally ive got round to making a start on this, so heres a little background.

She's a 1982 2dr saloon 1.3 stromberg carb engine. I bought her back when i was 16, no licence, not old enough but i didnt care, i needed a 2dr loon shuv-it.
I found this one on ebay, won it for £511.20, bargain for such a rare chevette. Even more so to say i was the second owner from new, 30000 genuine miles with FULL history, every little receipt even if its a headlight bulb. Its now been sat on my drive slowly rotting as cash has been so short but now im in a decent job and the estate is getting towards what i wanted im making a proper start on this.
So here is the pictures off the ebay auction.

as you can see, the interior is immaculate, but the amount of rust isnt. Needs both front wings, im going fibreglass so there is less to rust, front panel, slight rust on battery tray, small hole in boot floor, drivers side rear arch is non existent and it needs sills, inner and outer. Im going to be sending her off to be welded as i want it done by one of the best, i want her an immaculate show car.
I managed to get hold of these wheels before i picked her up. they are 13" alley cats, 7j for the front and 8j for the back, these are also made from magnesium so weigh next to nothing. they just need a good refurb.

Plans are to have her same colour, we call it pigeon sh!t grey. Lowered, and properly lowered at that with the alley cats in either white,cream or black centre with chrome rim and chrome spoke face. Full stainless with 3 inch outward roll tailpipe, and i just want it solid with the 1.3 in for now, i do have engine plans but no point saying anything yet as ill probably change my mind. The interior is staying standard apart from a hsr centre console that i picked up at billing years ago, im keeping the original MW/LW stereo in and hiding a modern stereo that will be wired up somewhere in the car.

Will be nice to know what you all think.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2014, 01:17:21 by PurpleDrumstick »

Offline PurpleDrumstick

Re: Charlotte the Chevette, the resto project.
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2014, 01:10:45 »
The progress

I started the day off by taking a load of pictures of how much of a mess she is in so here you go

Then we started taking the engine apart so we could get it out

I think the battery tray is slightly rotten

Thought i would show everyone some close ups of my wheels for her. Got dish????? lol

Got her up on ramps and stands to start taking the bits off underneath

Exhaust off

Propshaft off

And out it came

High rider lol

Was so happy that I didn't snap one bolt, didn't struggle to get anything undone or anything. It all came straight apart and was so easy. Quite surprising for a 31 year old car that has been sat around for a long time

Offline PurpleDrumstick

« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2014, 01:13:01 »
So thought i would get the back brakes free'd up. Was surprised that the drums came off really easy and they werent that much of a mess

Cheeky shot of my fibreglass wing and new arch panel

Then thought i would chuck the 8j's on to see how wide they truly are

Got girth???? lol

Offline PurpleDrumstick

« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2014, 01:13:44 »
Busy busy weekend for me. Wanted to get loads done on this but didnt go to plan.
Ended up giving my best mate a hand with this

Completely standard 1.2 8v mk1 nova merit saloon. its pretty tidy. didnt stay standard for long though

-40mm corsa springs and shortened shocks on the rear and w**k coilovers on the front. had nothing but problems with the coilovers, i hate them. persuaded him to bin them when he can afford front shocks and springs.
Also tried my 8j's on LOLLLLLLL

Then got to the chevette. Thought i would empty it out. How much stuff can you fit into a chevette? lol

Took the fuel tank out. (For sale if anyone is interested)

Few pics of the state of inside the boot
Drivers rear arch

Spare wheel well needs plating

Around the chassis leg, this is getting very crusty

Then we lowered it, Yes thats two of my mates, one stuffing his face lol

That's it for now. Need to get the dash out then she is ready to go away. Im getting very excited

Offline PurpleDrumstick

« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2014, 01:15:05 »
decided to give both the ladies a wash today, they both needed it badly.

Chevette all nice and clean, looks much better

Offline PurpleDrumstick

« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2014, 01:15:52 »
well friday picked up the trailer. got the chevette ready to go all day friday ready for saturday.

Got all the panels out of the shed for it including this front valance, im unsure about it but will see later on in the project

trailer ready for her

getting ready to load up, ignore the muppet in the picture lol

took 3 of us to push it on, went on really easily

all strapped up

towing weapon of choice, the car with the engine i want in it lol

she seems pretty happy lol

and now all tucked up warm next to my mates vectra.

so happy now its in a garage, proper work can start on her, just a shame she is over an hour away. looking forward to spending long weekends on her with my mate

Offline Bozzeh

• Junior L3
  • The Bozmeister
  • County: Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2014, 18:51:40 »
What a beaut!

Offline Rhys

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2014, 19:20:37 »
Old School Cool :)

Offline PurpleDrumstick

« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2014, 09:20:25 »
cheers lads. updates will probably be a bit slow will i will do one when i can

Offline PurpleDrumstick

« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2014, 14:16:27 »
Managed to get a day on this yesterday. Few bits done, lots more rust found but still not phased by it. Quite a good learning curve for me as well as ive never done a restoration

So got the back end stripped down
lights out

bumper off

Rust on the rear valance, probably going to end up replacing the whole panel

The car has had a respray at some point, the lazy t**ts didnt even take the badges off

Boot floor is a lot worse than thought, this is around the passenger side chassis leg

Cleaned up some scabs on the boot lid to make sure it was only surface rust

This is behind the passenger door, i thought it would be all filler due to the cracks but there is none there

The only bit of the passenger side rear arch that is rotten so it will be repaired

Then set to trying to take the spare wheel well out, these piles kept getting bigger and bigger

Drilling out all the spot welds. We think its already had one put in but not sure

Then realised its part of the rest of the boot floor by the look of it and we didnt have any cutting discs so left it at that and set to on the boot shut holes, now welded up and mostly smoothed down

Also cleaned up where the rear bumper mounts as it didnt look too good but luckily it is. Also took the Vauxhall badges off, they all broke off due to being old plastic

And thats where we ended the day. The plan at the minute is to work our way forwards as i cant afford the panels for the front end yet

Offline Surgical

• MG ZT+ 2.5
  • Ow! My Eyes! #brite
  • County: Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2014, 16:55:50 »
Good work. 2009 photos though?

Offline PurpleDrumstick

« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2014, 17:24:55 »
Cheers mate
That's my camera being a pain lol i take the batteries out so it never keeps the date

Like Us or Share, Tweet and +1 this page: